incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: I use the oo newsgroup for support. Do not like fora
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:52:15 GMT
On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 14:21 -0400, Andy Brown wrote:
<snip>

> Personally, I think the subject says it all and to the point.  To bad
> that all questions to mailing list and fora can not be summed up so easily.

Hi Andy,

The subject is a wonderfully succinct statement of a preference.

That's good.

That is a consideration, but do not lose sight of what the root issue
here:

"The sugar daddy has left the house!"

No Corporation with deep pockets and paid staff to due things for the
community. In the end it will come down to who steps up to perform
tasks, develop/setup services, perform monitoring and maintenance on
same.

Ok - let's take a look at total posts.

Just sticking to en, here.
The user ML open in July 2001
oooForum goes on line Oct 2002
user.services goes live Sep 2007.

For most of this time the OO.o site(s) pointed to the ML for support, it
offered links that even populated a first email, to a subscriber only
list - as an post from a non-subscribed address [usually].

oooForum for most of this time is the highest ranked source for hits
under most web search engines.

The following numbers are rough ( but have to start somewhere..)

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/0/04/Ooo-user-support.pdf

I'll update that file over the next few days, with some more precise
figures and converse as we go.

For me, this isn't about wanting to turn off anything - rather about
helping make some smart decisions about how to mix work emphasis.

Thanks,

//drew