incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: User support - native language
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:14:17 GMT
On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 18:50 -0400, drew wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 07:27 +0900, Kazunari Hirano wrote:
> > Hi Drew and all,
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > > Calligra - forums, no mail list
> > > Scribus - forums, no mail lsit
> > > Paint.net - forums, no mail list
> > > GnuCash - forums, no mail list
> > > InkScape - forums AND mail list
> > > MySQL - forums and mail lists, however Forums are predominantly
> > > displayed from the sites main page, mailing lists take a little digging.
> > > Postgres - mail list, no official forum, though very active un-official
> > > one.
> > > All of the projects offer a user oriented wiki.
> >
> > No one have Japanese forum, Japanese mail list, Japanese wiki page, don't they?
>
> Howdy,
>
> Might be (maybe) one or two - but I didn't really look - I said in an
> earlier email about only creating 10 user mailing lists, that the number
> was not enough, because I have come to believe that the expansive
> support for native languages, as a fabric of the openoffice.org project,
> is a real and important point of distinction - a point that crosses over
> being as true for FOSS and commercial offerings alike.
>
> A point which has real implementation implications to this thread also -
> currently at OO.o every supported language has a user ML but not so a
> web forum - that's an issue to be dealt with but, again IMO, could be
> handled either way, fairly easily.

Sorry - but wanted to continue a thought here.

When the forums opened we didn't just pick phpBB because lots of others
already did - we went through a fairly good review of what was available
and what the 25 people that made up the group wanted for features.

In the end one of the major deciding factors was in fact though the
number of supported languages, phpBB had far and away IIRC the largest
number of existing language packs available and a well defined process
for creating new ones should some get the urge. (realize this was 5
years ago, so that could easily of changed)

Now that said - ML support for native language still trumps that my a
mile, IMO ;)