incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: User support - what do others do
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:15:54 GMT
On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 15:24 -0400, drew wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 20:16 +0100, Simon Phipps wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Andreas S├Ąger <villeroy@t-online.de> wrote:
> >

> > > Please show us a single spam posting, a single off topic thread, duplicate,
> > > unsubscribe rant, heavy trolling, meta-topic about using the forum, any
> > > violation of netiquette or forum rules that survives longer than one or two
> > > hours.
> > >

> > It's great. No complaints.
> >
> > This wheel must not be reinvented while spinning smoothly.
> > >

> > If only that was an option. It's just not on Apache infrastructure,
>
> Ah nope, sorry. the forums are already on a staging server under the
> Apache infra. In fact it should be ready for some of us to start
> changing the theme pretty now.
>
> > so one
> > day soon-ish will need to move elsewhere. I am not complaining about it,
> > just speaking abstractly about the difference between mailing lists and
> > forums as we consider out migration options.
> >
> > In fact I am actually asserting that our future replacement for Oracle's
> > infrastructure /should be a forum/ and not a mailing list!  My assertion
> > that forums needs staffing is clearly true, because that's what is actually
> > happening :-)
>

> Staffing - well, how do think it runs now - divine intervention?

Let me try that again.

The forums has a very well defined structure for who does what - and it
is not about people having authority over others, it is about people
taking responsibility for tasks, the word stewardship is more
appropriate here.

Decisions at the forum are made under the authority of the Volunteer
group, a person does not have to be a moderator or admin to be in that
group, simply active, give reasonable answers and do so in a respectful
way and want to join, it is by invitation and every 3-6 months we ask
the current members to nominate new members. Most decisions are made
using a lazy consensus but from time to time a vote happens, not very
often at all.

Moderators and Forum level Admins must be a member of this group.

Moderators must agree to conform to our Code of Conduct, a document that
has developed over time, and still can change, based on situations that
have come up from time to time.

It's fairly simple actually.

In five years there has only been one time, that I know of, where a
moderator was removed because of bad actions and that was early on.

//drew