incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 18:34:02 GMT
On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 18:19 +0100, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:40:56 -0400
> Rob Weir <rob@robweir.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have a sense for how far we can take this by extending
> > phpBB?  It looks like we've already enhanced it quite a bit.
> >
> > In other words, is phpBB the best way forward?  Is it easy to hack?
> > For example, do we think it would be possible to eventually add
> > collaborative features like question/answer ranking, etc.?
>
> Posters to this thread might find it useful to view two forums dealing with OpenOffice
>
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
> and
> http://www.oooforum.org/
>
> both using phpBB and staffed by an active range of volunteers, some with moderator and/or
admin rights.

> >From these you will get an idea of the capabilities of forums.

There are many forums actually.

oooforum has been up and running going on 11 years now, UnitedLayer in
San Francisco, CA has hosted the site the entire time. English only. I
wasn't there so don't know what the problem was but when OO.o started
the owner wanted to work in the community but was not able to get the
OO.o side to agree so went independent.

Actually, the folks that started the user.services forum all came from
ooofourm.org, being either moderators or heavy posters there. A few of
the moderators still fill the role at both sites.

oooforum runs a highly modified version of phpBB 2.0, which is no longer
supported by the pbpBB team, so they are on there own for things like
security updates.

user.services runs a (comparatively) lightly modified version of pbpBB
3.x, and stays very much in the release cycles, both version updates and
security updates from the pbpBB team. With the update that Terry did on
the migration to the Apache servers this should be the last of the 3.x
releases. 4.0 is in the works (one major update will be the search
engine used with 4.0 offering use of a sphinx engine vs the custom php
search code, IIRC).

Additional fori:

http://www.openoffice.cz/forum  (Drupal with a forum module)

http://www.oooforum.dk/ (phpBB 2.x)

http://de.openoffice.info/ (pbpBB 3.x)

http://www.openofficeorg.no/Forumsider/ (Simple machines)

http://ooo-portal.de/index.php?module=pnForum&func=main (pbp2.0.1)
[the owner of that site is then opened, I thini I have that right]
http://lo-portal.de/forum/index.html (Joomla forum module)

http://www.openoffice-forum.de/ again phbBB 3.x. and again the owners
have opened a LibreOffice specific forum also.

There is  http://www.staroffice.org/ which links for forums to
user.services.oo.o.

The French and Polish language forums at user.services where once
independent forums, in the case of the Fr it moved to the user.services
site the first year it was open, the independent Polish forum has since
closed.

There was, may still be, a Chinese forum (using a modified moins moins
wiki for the forum) but I can't find it anymore, a Brazilian Portuguese
forum I forget what that was running and I don't know that it is still
active but might be.

A French-Canadian forum opened and died, well morphed into a blog IIRC.

There was a few others that have come and gone also.

Of course there are distribution forums for OO.o (Launchpad Answers for
Ubuntu, etc) but this makes sense of course.

Then we could look at tutorials - it's fewer sites but pretty much the
same picture.

i think I hit most of them.

//drew