incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 00:28:28 GMT
> <snip>

> So far the LibreOffice project has avoided creating support forums that "compete" with
the openoffice.org lists; would it be smart to explore a way to have this broader, collaborative
support in place?

I would not characterize it quite that way - LibreOffice has taken the
same path that OO.o took, which is to say they have eschewed web based
support, and that TTBOMK had nothing to do with not wanting to compete
with OO.o forums.

This leads to un-official forums opening (likely would anyway, IMO),
indeed there are already multiple LibreOffice web forums up and running
(with one already showing signs of failing) - TDF leaders refuses to
acknowledge these as being part of the 'community' just as the OO.o
leadership did in the past.

Finally and I'm sorry to say this but much of this conversation IMO ends
up coming down to money - folks want support contracts and too much good
quality free support cuts into that business, just my opinion.

Until people are willing to just deal with that head on and honestly
then this subject tends to deteriorate quickly.

//drew