incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:09:30 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 09:39 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Eike Rathke <ooo@erack.de> wrote:
> > Hi Marcus,
> >
> > On Tuesday, 2011-08-23 11:11:35 +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> >
> >> And very often they write to the list but aren't subscribed. So they
> >> don't get the answer unless someone is CC'ing them.
> >
> > That actually is a failure of how the list is setup when it has Reply-To
> > pointing to the mailing list address (AKA Reply-To mangling). Without
> > Reply-To a Reply-All goes to the sender and the mailing list.
> >
> >> In a forum all in one place. You can search, write and can get
> >> answers. It's up to us if a subscription is needed. It would work
> >> without.
> >>
> >> Furthermore, I don't think that mailing lists are common for the
> >> average user. But forums are.
> >
> > Mailing lists are much more accepted by those who actually help because
> > handling is much easier than any web forum. You can setup your own
> > scoring, flags, delete unimportant stuff in your personal archive and so
> > on. To get the best of both worlds best would be a forum gated to
> > a mailing list and vice versa. Searching the mailing list would also be
> > possible at mail-archive.com, or gmane..

> > And that just sucks.
> >
> >> I don't think that we or the users would miss anything because there
> >> is no chance to miss something as the communitation method is not
> >> existing.
> >
> > Well, I try to avoid forums whenever possible.
> >

> I can see the arguments either way.  What I don't see is an argument
> for doing it both ways.  Dividing the attention of the volunteers
> providing support and the users looking for support will help no one.
>
> Do we have any rough stats for the relative traffic on the user list
> versus the support forums?  Not now, but when 3.3 first came out.  Was
> one getting much more use?

None that are particularly current. In the past myself and Terry have
done a few of these. I can try to dig them up, but they are years old.

I'm digging for those old numbers - so far I found this old analysis
Terry did on oooForum traffic back in 2007.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:DrewJensen/why_why

There are some old analysis that I did on mailing list traffic, but they
are gone from my local disc, should be in the mail archive - haven't
found them via search yet...still looking, I'll find them.

Did find this so far

http://ux.openoffice.org/reports/2007/website/gmanetraffic.html

more to come,

//drew