incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:20:55 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 07:57 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:32 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When users see what looks like an email address in the context of "support", they
typically think it is a help desk, not a mailing list (and they may not even know what a mailing
list is). A forum is not going to be mistaken for a "help desk" email address. So I think
Terry and others are correct that we could dispense with providing an equivalent to the users
list at OOo.

> > --Jean
>
> That is a good point, one I had not thought of.
>
> We need to remember that the average user seeking support is not an
> email power user. They are not a master of mailing lists, inbox
> filters/rules, etc.   This is also probably true of some of the
> volunteers who wish to help support users.

Many of the people who have helped a lot on the user guides are
definitely not email power users. Indeed, I am certainly not in the
email power user category myself. For example, despite many years on
email and mailing lists, I only learned about threading a year or so
ago. :-)

--Jean