incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Future extensions registry hosting
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2011 00:11:08 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 22:48 -0400, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> A couple of brief general comments:
>
> - Apache's mission is to provide software for the public good, under the
> Apache license or a fundamentally compatible one.  Hence, we do not
> distribute GPL code, for one example (see Category X licenses).
>
> - Apache projects typically must use Apache managed hardware for hosting
> websites and other important services.  This allows us to be
> self-sufficient in the case of outages, and ensure that we can control
> our own fate.
>
> - There are plenty of technical solutions for creating registries (i.e.
> metadata about and pointers to, but not necessarily hosting the source)
> of bits of software - both the httpd module stuff, various other obvious
> projects, and even our own Maven and Archiva projects.
>
> - It's clear that there are such a wide variety of services and bits of
> software hosted at URLs related to openoffice.org that we have quite a
> significant task ahead to maintaining as much of the existing services
> to the millions of end users, while also respecting Apache policies.
>
> - We have friends who work on the Google infrastructure behind
> apache-extras.org (and infra@ can put you in touch with people once
> there's some specific proposals, I hope)
>
> I'm sure we can figure ways to have us host the metadata and any
> appropriately licensed software, and have appropriate owners host any
> software that falls under other kinds of licenses.  But it's not going
> to be easy...

- but we need not make it harder then need be - so it seems past time to
start pulling specifics together on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Extensions+and
+templates

Will work on pulling specific items from the longish threads here into a
plan we can work through and issues to get there, on that page over the
weekend.

> And we shouldn't let it distract us too much from getting the actual
> product source code checked in and building, either!

Right!

//drew