incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <>
Subject Re: [www] Color me Copyright-confused
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 05:17:42 GMT
On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 21:47 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I was nosing around in the web pages at to
understand exactly what is going on with addition of "Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation"
as a footer and the inclusion of the
> <!-- Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
>     contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
>     this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
>     [ ... ]
>     -->
> as HTML comments in the <head> element of pages, etc.
>  1. I am not clear what principle is being applied here and what the conditions of its
application might be.  (I'm not sure where there is {intended to be} a NOTICE file, either.)
 [The project notes for this don't mention this particular kind of change.]
>  2. I also see that this page, which is in that www sandbox too, has those modifications:
> <>.  But the content
appears to be the same as this: <>, so somehow the
Apache copyright notice doesn't seem apt.
>  3. MORE EXCITING is that the page itself is identified as having been
revised on 2011-07-29 and it has this fascinating statement (also found on our www-sandbox
> "[4.]b. Source Code Submissions. You agree that any source code You contribute to a Project
will be submitted under, and subject to, the license posted for that Project. If no license
is posted, You agree that Your Submission will be governed by the Apache License, Version
2.0, which terms can be found at You acknowledge
that You are responsible for including all applicable copyright notices and licenses with
Your Submissions, and that You assume the risks of failing to do so, including the potential
loss of Your rights to Your Submissions."
> Does anyone know what this said before, when it was changed, and who changed it?  Or
has it been this way pretty much all along?

Hi Dennis,

Looking at the vcs for the website, the Apache license wording has been
there, on the TOU page  for
at least 5 months. (The move to kenai time frame if I'm not mistaken, which I could be, easily)

View raw message