incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject User guide licensing (was: Refactoring the brand)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 01:17:28 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 20:43 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Jean Hollis Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 10:52 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

release have to be treated as if it requires the same treatment as the content of a release.
 I thought we had worked a high-level sketch of the user documentation case with Jean Hollis
Weber some time ago on this list.

> >> That was something else entirely, ODFAuthors.org, a site that is
> >> external to Apache.  We're not discussing that right now.  What we're
> >> discussing is the content at wiki.services.openoffice.org, which we
> >> are planning to be part of the Apache OpenOffice project. Two
> >> different things.
> >
> > *I* was talking about the docs produced by ODFAuthors, in my note quoted
> > below, and I asked a question that was not answered; the answer was
> > about the material directly edited on the wiki, not about the material I
> > asked about.
> >

> From licensing perspective it is the same, whether it is content in
> wikitext or content in attachments to a wiki page.  The thing that
> would be different would be links to content on external sites.
>
> If that is not answering your question, maybe you should restate, with
> a link to a specific example.

The user guides are dual-licensed under CC-BY and GPL, and the past
contributors have obviously agreed to those licenses. They have not
agreed to the Apache license, and most of them cannot be found to ask if
they agree. We can't just relicense the books under the Apache license.

What you have said tells me that those books cannot be attachments on a
Apache-OOo wiki page. Is that correct? If so, then we can host them
elsewhere and link to them from the wiki.

Does this also mean that the guides cannot be part of the official
documentation set? That's okay with me (not sure what other contributors
think), but it seems less than ideal for the project.

Examples of the existing user guides can be downloaded from this page
and pages linked to it:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters

--Jean

can