incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 00:49:22 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 18:36 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> Also, Jean, I'm glad you are following this thread.  I'd love to hear
> what you think the relationship between the kind of doc on the wiki
> versus what you are doing on ODFAuthors.  How do they relate in terms
> of topics, content types, etc.?  Is there significant overlap?  Is
> there any way to rationalize this?

In the past we put a "wikified" version of the user guides on the wiki,
along with the .ODT and .PDF versions, but after 3.2 we stopped doing
that as it was too much work for the small number of people involved.
The reasons for the wiki version were (a) to offer the user guides in
another format, for those who prefer reading online; and (b) to
encourage updates from people who might find that faster and easier to
do than submitting changes through the ODFAuthors group. As far as I
know, very few pages were edited on the wiki, although some valuable
comments were left on a few discussion pages, primarily in the more
advanced or technical parts of the Calc Guide. In several instances,
again mainly with the Calc Guide, there were useful links to other wiki
pages with content that we did not attempt to add to the .odt/.pdf
versions: mainly the lists of functions that were searchable in various
ways on the wiki.

Other than that, there is almost no overlap except for some how-tos that
I or others extracted from the user guides or wrote as stand-alones and
then incorporated into a user guide (perhaps 10 wiki pages at most).

BTW, I do not recommend wikifying future releases of the user guides
because of the work involved. Making the .odt/.pdf versions downloadable
from the wiki is easy and AFAIK works well for all concerned.

--Jean