incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Gavin McDonald" <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject RE: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 00:52:46 GMT

<snip>

> Any web analytics package is going to track IP address and store a cookie.
> That is how it knows what country you are from and whether you are a new
> or a returning user.

These days cookies are not reliable enough for analytics to produce accurate data.

Lots of users these days have Anti-Virus programs running, Windows has it build in
these days. These programs are trained to consider cookies as low risk but at the
same time allow the user to delete cookies.

Personally, I'll be treated as a new visitor to the site every week as far as analytics
is concerned, as that is how often I clean out my cookies.

Gav...