incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] RE: SVN and bringing the total end-to-end OOo project under Configuration Management
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:57:52 GMT
Rob, I completely disagree with embracing everything under ALv2 and exclusive Apache Way custodianship.
 I don't consider that a goal.  I don't see how that serves the extended community at all.

I accept that is not your position.

As far as I know, the position you express is not a commonly held view, though whatever view
is commonly held is not all that clear.

Furthermore, I don't believe we have the right to appropriate all things at openoffice.org
that are not explicit in the Oracle SGA.  It seems that is not part of the Apache Way.

So we need to be careful and respectful of what there is and what has gone before in taking
custodianship of the domain name(s).  I think that means endeavoring to perpetuate those sites
in a manner that changes only what we have to change to bridge to the Apache project.  What
is not essential to the Apache project needs to be sustained in its operation for now and
we can work out further arrangements as we go.

The only alternative I can imagine is if some other party steps up to operate openoffice.org
and Apache provides them the use of the domain name under some suitable arrangement.  That
would also be a decent Plan B if we fail to graduate from incubation.

I agree that using a private SVN for the non-developer community stuff is not ideal and would
not be permissible if it was all Apache.  I'm not wedded to that.  What I found valuable is
that it doesn't create any undesirable contamination of what will be clean Apache project
SVN with material that is not so pure.

Another way to look at it is a web-site/-service version of an Apache Extra, visible to the
world on a non-Apache domain name.

 - Dennis