incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 01:47:30 GMT
It's an odd situation.  In many ways an users@openoffice.org list would appear to remain useful
but I think it creates a decision crisis for users to have too many of these.

What I notice about [libreoffice-users] and also [libreoffice] (the dev list) is that many
user-level reports have to do with (1) interoperability between a version of ODF-based software
and another format (Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel being prominent).  The other kind of
interoperability is among versions of ODF-based software where an older version works differently
(often better) than a newer one.  These are also often related to interoperability with software
having different native formats.

Sometimes, the inter-version comparisons are between an OO.o release and a subsequent LibreOffice
release.

There are also general questions and tips that work for any recent OpenOffice 3.x and LibreOffice
3.x releases and their documentation.

However, I don't think we can expect users to sort out which is the right list for these:
LibreOffice-specific, OpenOffice-legacy-specific, Apache OpenOffice (nothing to talk about
yet), or some common OpenOffice shared space.

So, realistically, I think it will be super-users and their cousins, including developers
and documentation authors, who will notice cross-over cases and perhaps guide users to an
appropriate place while also providing useful answers.

For bug reports, I think it is always going to be with respect to a release that an user is
operating with, and sharing what is a common-mode problem across forks/derivatives and their
releases is going to depend on developers noticing and talking to each other.  We might not
be able to share patches but we can definitely attempt to share issues that we may have in
common.

 - Dennis