incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 01:45:19 GMT
So we get two copies any time someone uses that news reader to make a reply?

Can we block the ones that come from the news group and only accept the direct ones?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Eike Rathke [mailto:ooo@erack.de]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 15:42
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?

Hi Dennis,

On Sunday, 2011-08-21 09:37:50 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I note that there is a similar post on the list, with the same date stamp (I am in utc-0700).
>
> The differences between the one on ooo-dev@i.a.o and the separate one
> to my inbox are Bjoern's From address is different and so is the
> Mathias Bauer e-mail quoted in Bjoern's message.

That is presumably the result of a Group-Reply / Reply-To-All when using
the gmane.org newsserver, one reply goes to the newsgroup and is then
gated to the mailing list, the other reply goes directly to the mailing
list.

> The To address is also rather different.
>
> According to the e-mail headers, this apparently reached ooo-dev via
> a newsgroup and newsreader application, but the origin and other
> details are obscured in the manner you see below (in contrast to the
> one that came out in the usual form from the list).

That's gmane.org's way to prevent spam. Their internal database maps the
obscured addresses to real addresses, so if you're subscribed with them
and post through their services everything is fine, while spammers
scraping the newsgroup via browser or newsreader interface won't get
anything usable.

  Eike