incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: User support - what do others do
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:55:15 GMT
I don't believe anyone proposes to not have forums.

No one is forcing anyone to use lists.

I'd still like there to be one/some.  Although not my primary motivation, it is also valuable
for accessibility reasons.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Kay Schenk []
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 14:10
Subject: Re: User support - what do others do

On 08/24/2011 01:35 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <>  wrote:
>> Simon,
>> There is no doubt violent agreement about forums.
>> I still would prefer to have some list *also* (after all,
>> odf-user@a.i.o is apparently there already) but I can always
>> satisfy my personal workflow preferences and find lists to support
>> users on.  Maybe I can scratch my support and QA itch on
>> StackOverflow.  I would especially want a list for
>> ooo-accessibility@i.a.o once we recognize how that matters.
> Maybe the solution is to have a user list, but not a user support
> list?  So a place for users to discuss things, in list-style
> threads, but if someone is clearly looking for support, we direct
> them to the support forums?

I *personally* find forums quite valuable. WHY? They show up in search
engines, and if you just have some one-time issue and want to
investigate a quick answer -- bingo. I hardly ever subscribe to user
problem lists because I just don't want to be overburdened with that
kind of traffic. This being said, I know there are some great user lists
out there and yes, you're likely to get a quicker response this way if
you're on a list that has very enthusiastic participants. Pros and cons
to each. Really, I have no direct knowledge of the current OO.o user
lists or forums though.

Just my .02.

>> - Dennis
>> -----Original Message----- From: Simon Phipps
>> [] Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:27
>> To: Subject: Re: User support - what
>> do others do
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM, drew<>
>> wrote:
>>> Ah nope, sorry. the forums are already on a staging server under
>>> the Apache infra. In fact it should be ready for some of us to
>>> start changing the theme pretty now.
>> Awesome, hadn't spotted that, thanks. So no problems and no need
>> for a discussion?
>> S.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and
  on which it is impossible to be silent."
                             -- Victor Hugo

View raw message