incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Who wants to build OpenOffice? - win32, win64
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:56:13 GMT
Tor,

As far as I know the 64-bit compiler is not available with VC++ 2008 Express Edition.  VC++
2010 Express Edition is also 32-bit (only produces x86) but the expanded compilers are available
via the Microsoft SDK 7.1.  (They failed to install on my machine, which may mean I need to
uninstall all that and install the SDK first to get everything.)  So the VS 2010 issue can't
be avoided for building win64 of OpenOffice.org, at least for cheap.

I keep different versions of VC++ on different machines.  Attempting to have them side by
side has been messy in the past (projects get converted, etc., although I prefer to compile
command-line anyhow).

In just confirming that I have learned how to build OpenOffice.org for Windows, I will use
the VC++ 2008 Express Edition (plus cygwin, perl, and anything else I need to use) and build
win32.  I reserve the VC++ 2010 setup for longer-term work and projects beside OpenOffice.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: tlillqvist@gmail.com [mailto:tlillqvist@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Tor Lillqvist
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:58
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice? - win32, win64

> I can imagine there are differences because of changes in how VS2010 uses MSBuild,

(Which would be irrelevant, as the OOo build mechanism does not
involve with MSBuild. Some of the 3rd-party libraries that are/used to
be built with OOo use it I think.)

>  although I don't know why command-line use of cl.exe from the Make would have changed.

It hasn't. (Not a lot, that would affect the options that get passed
by the OOo mechanism, at least.) What has changed is implementation
details of the C++ language and its standard (or "standard") library.

> I suppose the idea would be to find out how to make it work with 2010 (I am slow anyhow),
with the goal of building
> a win-64bit version of OO.o.

Well, also VS2008 comes with a variant that produces x64 code. (Dunno,
maybe the express edition of MSVC2008 doesn't include the x64
compiler?) MSVC2008 was what I used when experimenting with a x64
Windows build. Why ask for trouble by at the same time switch to
MSVC2010 *and* to producing 64-bit code?

--tml