incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Bugzilla vs JIRA (was: <id>@openoffice.org)
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:50:09 GMT
I personally prefer JIRA, but it was the first one where I saw issue tracking work well in
a group setting.

I don't like bugzilla that much.

I think bugzilla is the answer here because the e-mail addresses of the existing reports have
hard-coded e-mail address in them.

There are some other issues though.  What Apache has is a single big JIRA and, AFAIK, a single
big bugzilla, just like it has a single big SVN.  How we migrate into either one of those
is a puzzle.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Eike Rathke [mailto:ooo@erack.de]
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 07:23
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Bugzilla vs JIRA (was: <id>@openoffice.org)

Hi Rob,

On Monday, 2011-08-22 19:07:07 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> Dumb question, but does anyone really like Bugzilla?

It's alright, it does the job, it could be better.

> Do users think
> it is easy to use?  Or are they always complaining about it?

If they are complaining we don't know if they would be complaining less
about a different bug tracker.

> This might be a good opportunity to move to JIRA, a solution which
> I've heard others recommend as more appropriate for larger project.

While JIRA has some nifty features for developers and people working
with bugs, such as creation of sub-tasks and integrated statistics and
integration with SCMs, I doubt it is more end user friendly than
Bugzilla. To me when entering an issue it's just filling a form so the
actual user experience depends on how self-explaining that form is.
Bugzilla is more familiar to most end users who are involved with one or
the other project, ask some user if s/he ever submitted a bug in JIRA.
So, as a developer I might prefer JIRA, but it is yet to be seen if it
would be accepted more than Bugzilla by end users.

> There is also a supported conversion utility, and it does preserve the
> Bugzilla issue ID's:
>
> http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/tour/bugzilla-importer.jsp
>
> JIRA might also be a faster way to get this set up.  Compare that to
> the work required to get Apache Infrastructure to support the
> customized version of BZ used by OOo.

Regarding customizations I have no idea how much work it
a) was to get them into the OOo Bugzilla
b) would be to get them into Apache Bugzilla
c) would be to get them into JIRA

  Eike