incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: binfilter (was RE: OOO340 to svn)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:25:51 GMT
What I managed to glean from the LibreOffice discussion lists is that binfilter will be separately
installable but probably not taken to end-of-life.  (As platforms change, it may be necessary
to make new builds of it.)

There is also discussion about moving some annoying dependencies into the binfilter (and other
converter) branches in some case, so they don't have to be maintained in sync with the main
distro.

This means there's potentially redundant maintenance.  I am not sure where they went with
that, and how far they can go with it.  I also have no idea how the trees are being reorganized
at LibreOffice.

There is also a thrust to make converters more cleanly-separated and having the plugin APIs
work successfully for them.  Again, this is the gist of it.  It doesn't seem too far from
ideas that have been floated around here, though.

I think we should have a mutual interest in coordinating more around this topic, since redundant
development and maintenance of converters is a terrible tax on developer attention and resources.
 There is considerable interoperability impact, although maybe not so much for the very stable,
near-ancient ones (although just staying up with RTF seems to be a serious challenge).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Malte Timmermann [mailto:malte_timmermann@gmx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:24
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: binfilter (was RE: OOO340 to svn)

Binfilter will be good for many more time consuming discussions. Many
different opinions on if/how to change them, many different opinions on
if/why to keep them.

Assuming that the binfilter source tree doesn't need clean-up because of
IP / license issues, I suggest to simply keep the folder as it is, and
think about further actions later.

I really wouldn't spend resources on this topic now, as there are too
many important things we need to achieve before.

Not sure about the status of binfilter in LibreOffice - but IIRC, once
the Linux distros where shipping Go-OO versions, they didn't include
binfilters, and I can't imagine LibO being different here.

As a side note - OOo 3.3 doesn't install binfilters per default anymore,
and I can't remember anybody complaining/wondering/asking.

In Oracle Open Office, we already had an EOL note for them.

Malte.