incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 21:22:09 GMT
+1 to Terry's assessment.

I favor the plan for setting up a VM and bringing over everything possible that we are allowed
to preserve and make that the new location for openoffice.org.

We can lock down some things that need to be continued on apache.org addresses, but the idea
is to achieve continuity and make any breakage in a gradual and tidy way.

I don't think there is any wholesale (1-2) case and we should be very selective about applying
(2) to bits only when there is an alternative in operation and we are set up to guide people
there in a smooth way.

It looks like (4) then some (5 backed by 2) ideally.  I see no reason to have up-front barriers
induced by wiki conversions, forum conversions, or bug-list moves.  I.e., all the interactive
provisions of the site should be preserved except where an Apache counterpart must be used
at once.  (I suppose we stop handing out openoffice.org e-mail addresses but even things like
registering to author public wiki pages should still work.)

I think the key question is ensuring that we have folks to do the work and that it be sustainable.
 There are some finer-grained details, but this smells like a way to not create some sort
of wholesale disruption.

I see no reason to over-think this, since there appear to be ways to do a full-dress simulation
and confirmation that it works and we can keep it under wraps until we have the go-for-launch
as part of the Oracle-to-Apache transfer.  We should be looking for the *least* that has to
be done to pull this off and to shed critical path like crazy.

 - Dennis, speaking from his armchair