incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:08:20 GMT
My reply is to Andy Brown's post, not one of yours.  It appears that I failed to CC: him.

I have no quarrel about figuring out where PPMC oversight goes and how it is exercised.  I
allowed for that in my response to Andy with regard to special-privileged cases.  I chose
not to drag that detail into the recognition of case (1) versus (2).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:apache@robweir.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:04
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>  1. Well, if we *have* to require an iCLA because we choose (or are limited to) an approach
that makes iCLA mandatory, there is nothing to be gained by conducting a survey on the matter.

>  2. If we come up with an approach where nothing is changed with regard to what is currently
user-editable, we don't have to stir anything up by even raising the iCLA question.

> So maybe we need to resolve whether we can offer (2). I believe there is strong interest
in being able to do that, especially in the short run.

I'm not discussing the iCLA.   I'm talking about community
development.   I'm suggesting that we make the wiki contributors aware
of the move to Apache and invite them to join.  I'd like to do the
same, via appropriate means, more broadly, to all of the OOo mailing
lists, as well as on the website.

> We have heard from infrastructure and security (via infrastructure) that there are some
technical arrangements to deal with, but I have seen nothing that compels our disrupting current
registrations and user-editing permissions.  (There are a modest number of special-privileged
cases and they should be dealt with as individually, seems to me.)

The PPMC needs to have a plan for how it exercises oversight over the
project's websites, including the wiki.  Having unknown, anonymous
users, unknown to the PPMC, with the ability to ban users and delete
pages is not a good start in exercising oversight.

As was discussed previously on this thread, one approach was to ensure
that anyone who had more-than-user rights would need to be approved in
that role by the PPMC.

>  - Dennis

are asking for (or attempting to do).  This is going way over the edge past JFDI and/or lazy
consensus.