incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:25:59 GMT
Complete loss of subject heading is a minor annoyance?

How about the mangling of the To address?  When I get one of these, I cannot use any rules
because the To address that my mail client sees is not that of ooo-dev but some hacked-up
pseudo gmane address.

So it may be great to use ooo-dev from gmane, but it is not so great to be the beneficiary
of that chaff as a subscriber on ooo-dev.

I think folks having an NNTP and newsgroup-ish way of reading ooo-dev is a great thing.  It
duplicates the archiving, though.  But more than that, I would rather it be done well and
not in a way that disrupts the original mailing list.  Especially not that.  If it worked
well, I would be tempted to use it.

I have a different question.

According to the information on GMANE, it takes someone who claims to be an administrator
to offer up a mailing list for aggregation there.

Who did that and where was it discussed here?  I suspect I may have seen an off-hand mention
but I had no idea what the consequences were at that point.

Finally, wholesale harvesting of someone's e-mail list raises serious netiquette issues far
beyond concerns for top posting, CC additions, etc.  When did we consider what we expect of
that and also what does it not being on Apache infrastructure raise as a concern?

 - Dennis

PS: I just saw a mangled To address come through the LibreOffice developer list too.  Had
nothing to do with me.  In this case, the message had no subject.

And why am I being taken to task for honoring a practice that has already been discussed and
encouraged here?  (I.e., bracketed topics.)  It wasn't my idea.  Also, I was trying to put
the new subject heading together with the previous discussion of the same topic.