incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 16:55:53 GMT
 1. Well, if we *have* to require an iCLA because we choose (or are limited to) an approach
that makes iCLA mandatory, there is nothing to be gained by conducting a survey on the matter.

 2. If we come up with an approach where nothing is changed with regard to what is currently
user-editable, we don't have to stir anything up by even raising the iCLA question.

So maybe we need to resolve whether we can offer (2). I believe there is strong interest in
being able to do that, especially in the short run.

We have heard from infrastructure and security (via infrastructure) that there are some technical
arrangements to deal with, but I have seen nothing that compels our disrupting current registrations
and user-editing permissions.  (There are a modest number of special-privileged cases and
they should be dealt with as individually, seems to me.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Brown [mailto:andy@the-martin-byrd.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 09:35
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)

Dennis,

We are working on some ideas only.  There are questions on how to deal
with the current OOo wiki and move it to Apache servers.  The concern is
that there will be a lose of "active" users if there is a big change in
the way edits are made, i.e. requiring an iCLA.  At this point we do not
have any hard numbers on way maybe lost and trying to see if we can get
those users involved to see what path we need to take.

HTH
Andy

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Let's slow down here.  I don't recognize any alignment on what it is we think we are
asking for (or attempting to do).  This is going way over the edge past JFDI and/or lazy consensus.