incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 15:21:39 GMT
Umm, the proposal page for this incubator project was on a public wiki site and was publicly
edited.  While there were some mistakes in the course of that, it all worked out didn't it?

The project home page is where it is.  That's a straw man (just like the one I just gave).
 It is not on OpenOffice.org and it won't be, it seems to me.  It is in the Apache ooo space.

I propose that we do this on an individual-case basis as we migrate/blend/divide/whatever
OpenOffice.org-reached content and apache.org-reached content.

I propose that we do *not* drop the iCLA hammer on everything to do with OpenOffice.org and
we should deal with this on concrete terms when we have cloned the content of OpenOffice.org
ready to reopen under new management but with the same welcoming face to the public.

I don't accept that there has been any harm in the handling of provenance on OpenOffice.org
although it certainly could have been done better.  In fact, keeping it the OpenOffice.org
site is probably the easiest way to avoid sticky permission problems.  Of course, if any contributors
want their material taken down, we should happily comply.

I wouldn't even add the Apache license to the pages.  The Creative Commons attribution license
seems perfectly fine there and we should not mess with it.  The copyright notice I would leave
to sharper minds than ours.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:apache@robweir.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 07:53
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> -1
>
> I don't understand why there is continued pressing that things not in a release have
to be treated as if it requires the same treatment as the content of a release.  I thought
we had worked a high-level sketch of the user documentation case with Jean Hollis Weber some
time ago on this list.

That was something else entirely, ODFAuthors.org, a site that is
external to Apache.  We're not discussing that right now.  What we're
discussing is the content at wiki.services.openoffice.org, which we
are planning to be part of the Apache OpenOffice project. Two
different things.

As for "in release" versus "not in a release", I'll pose a question:
Should we allow anyone to directly edit the project home page, even if
they are not a project committer?  Why not?  It is not "in a release"?

We should be trying to build a an open source release that anyone can
use, modify and redistribute, according to the Apache 2.0 license.
The fact that some pieces are in the source tarball and other pieces
are on the website is irrelevant.  We prevent others from making full
use of our code if we do not allow them to also make full use of
essential documentation.

> There are cross-over cases, such as authoring of what will be embedded help (in many
languages) and also the support for on-line help.  But even for on-line help it would be great
if it could be community-augmented.

I agree,  Everything at Apache is built by the community, including
the source code.  We encourage contributions from all, including
committers, of course, but also patches from users and other
interested parties.  But all such patches are reviewed and approved by
project committers.

> All we're accomplishing here is guaranteeing that the only well-written documents and
congenial forums for users will carry the LibreOffice logo.

> We already have two separate wikis, one that the community uses and one that requires
committers to make the changes.  I notice the second one is not getting much activity.

And I'm not seeing a lot of activity at the OpenOffice.org wiki either:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&from=20110702130619&days=30&limit=500

What does that prove?

> I think this stance is too heavy-handed in an area where there is no demonstration of
harm and a great need for community engagement.  We need to be flexible here, and quickly
too.

The harm is to the ability of downstream consumers to copy, modify and
redistribute the documentation.  The lax attention paid to this
concern by OpenOffice.org is responsible for the nebulous state of the
IP in the wiki's content today.  That harm has already been done.  I'd
like to prevent that harm from continuing.