incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [Identifying Contributors][DISCUSS] (was RE: [Issues] [DISCUSS] Can we track Issues Somehow? ... )
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:07:19 GMT
With regard to the migration of issues, are we going to manage to preserve the identity of
those who posted and commented on issues?

I know there is some connection among issue creators, patch creators, and the source-code
histories that are somehow tied into particular identification schemes, along with those for
previous wiki contributors, folks having @openoffice.org addresses, etc.

I've been wondering how we might crack that nut and have a way to preserve the identifications
that exist while foreclosing their continuing usage as we move to ASF-hosted infrastructure
and in-project sites.

 - Dennis

MUSINGS/THOUGHT-STARTERS, ETC.

I am an user on a system that did some merges and expansions.  They had to cope with conflicts
among IDs.  They did it by adding suffixes to colliding IDs from all identifier domains but
one.  If there was no collision, there was no modification necessary.

At Apache, one place where collision becomes tricky is when folks had short names that might
now (or in future) collide with names in the Apache user name/ID domain.  That might not be
so serious as it first appears if we think in terms of e-mail uniqueness (so name@apache.org
and name@openoffice.org are distinct, for example), rather than simple user name/ID values.
 But it is desirable to differentiate short names when they are the link to the distinguishing
identity information, and to avoid issuance of duplicates in any place where colliding legacy
use of short names occurs.

Also, with regard to name@oo.o, I think it would be good to preserve the forwarding service
but not allow new sign-ups.  I don't know if we should allow folks to update the forwarded-to
e-mail address indefinitely or even for a short time.  My inclination is to allow it, possibly
with an option to declare that they are abandoning the address.