incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Access to wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 17:50:13 GMT
+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Phipps [mailto:simon@webmink.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2011 05:39
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Access to wiki

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm too skeptical,  but do we really have thousands of non core
> project members dropping in for minutes at a time, adding information
> on the architecture of OOo?  And build instructions? Looking at the
> history of these pages, it looks more like this is core dev-enabling
> information that should be part of the core project website

"Thousands" is hyperbole. The wiki has been a meta-community resource
throughout the history of the project, and shutting it down so the only way
to use it is to sign up to Apache is the wrong move. I see a whole lot of
YAGNI thinking going on here. How about adopting the principle of being as
permissive as possible until there's a problem that needs solving?

S.