incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Access to wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 17:50:13 GMT
I have a question about your proposed cookie cutter.  How much of what is currently on OOOUSER
is therefore not appropriate there, under your criteria?  OOOUSER is a public, user-editable
Wiki is it not?  The only requirement is for a Wiki Account to be established.

Secondly, just in case it is not clear, there is a particular requirement (at Apache) for
the careful and respectful treatment of third-party contributed material.  Think of it as
third-party Category A software that is being relied upon in a distribution (for the principle,
not whether we are actually doing that).  This influences how derivative works are made.
In particular, any requirements in terms of notices and especially copyright notices need
to be satisfied.  For Apache, I assume this principle applies to all works that an ALv2 can
cover, not just software code.

Finally, leaving that material at an http://*.openoffice.org address where the contribution
appears retains such material "as-contributed."  Moving it to an apache.org site, especially
with additional conditions and restrictions, is not something for which we might wish to claim
permission for doing.

I recently saw this with regard to the civility and ethical position of Apache on such matters
< http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201107.mbox/%3c314DD6CC-79A3-4F82-9DBD-C569A23A45E9@gbiv.com%3e>:

  "At Apache, all contributions are voluntary.  We do not accept code
  from copyright owners who don't want us to have it, even if we have
  the legal right to adopt it for other reasons."

The thread there expands on this with regard to a particular situation, one I trust we do
not encounter [;<).

We can only assume those contributors wanted OpenOffice.org to have it.  We (when it is not
the Oracle licensed-to-Apache material we are talking about) need to be respectful of how
Apache stewardship continues to satisfy their desires in the matter.

 - Dennis