incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Access to wiki
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 17:58:14 GMT
The appearance of this being a binary condition is becoming a point of ridicule and humor.
 Also, I think we are missing how powerful the social dimension is (plus the need to maintain
a sense of humor about it):
<http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/msg07409.html>
[The additional humor is about this comment being applied to an un-conference, something I'm
sure the commenter understood, yet the Apache association/stigma/ooo-dev thrash inspires the
remark.]

I agree with what goes in releases.  There is no issue there.  Trying to make everything that
gets contributed be covered under the release requirement for the satisfaction of hypothetical
downstream corporate use, which is how this is very easy to spin, is not going to win us any
contributors.

I much prefer us to deal with this on individual, specific, concrete cases.  As long as there
is permissive use for big chunks, we need to avoid solving problems that we intend not to
have, lest the law-of-unintended-consequences imposes an unaffordable tax.  With regard to
existing materials, we will have to simply deal with what those are.

This gets concrete by bringing the user-edited/-contributed portions of openoffice.org over
onto Apache infrastructure (to ensure its preservation and operation) and then looking at
the reality of what's there and what the adjustments need to be.

 - Dennis

PS: There is the prospect that CC-by is not acceptable to be a Category A license because
of some misguided provisions concerning modes of distribution/performance/use.