incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: An example of the license problems we're going to face
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:29:02 GMT
Of course, concerning CC-BY 2.0.  And we can choose to view CC-BY 2.0 as toxic for the purposes
of this project, I suppose.  But either way, third-party rules apply.

And we should deal with concrete cases in hand rather than hypotheticals.  I agree that "deal
with it" is snippy and I apologize to all.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: sa3ruby@gmail.com [mailto:sa3ruby@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Sam Ruby
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 06:31
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: An example of the license problems we're going to face

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Rob, this is really simple.
>
> We have no rights other than what are conferred by the licenses and notices on those
works you wish to be able to include in distributions.

> Since you believe they don't permit what you want, we can't do what you want with them.
>
> Deal with it.

This is not the style of interpersonal interaction I like seeing here.

> Now, if you propose to keep those works off of the incubator web site because they are
toxic (let's suppose), then there is another reason for making sure that http://openoffice.org
stays up and alive so the materials can continue to be found there until satisfactory alternatives
appear, if ever.

This question fundamentally is about what the ASF is all about.  Truth
be told, there are *lots* of wonderful licenses out there.  We can't
stop people from using them.  Nor should we, as I said there are lots
of wonderful licenses out there, each wonderful in their own precious
and unique way.

The ASF isn't about those other licenses.  The ASF is about the Apache
License.  We've worked hard to establish uniform expectations across
our set of products as to what you can and can not do with the
releases that we produce.

At the ASF we have zero problems with the idea that a project creates
a vibrant eco-system which includes data contained elsewhere that may
be of another license and quality.  That can be a huge win for
everybody.

But as to the assets that are released and hosted by the ASF, we have
high standards.  We will make pragmatic exceptions, sometimes even on
a case by case basis, based on specific circumstances.

But meanwhile, don't assume that the fact that we previously didn't
notice that this clause was in CC-By 2.0 that that means that CC-by
3.0 is OK.  It might be that the way we decide to fix that bug is to
remove CC-By 2.0 from the list.

>  - Dennis

- Sam Ruby