incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 19:10:25 GMT
My first answer to an OpenOffice.org question that I then tracked has been marked as good by
the questioner.

More things about how the StackExchange sites do this.

1. The RSS feed is working but I find that the subscriptions into Internet Explorer and Outlook
are not very nice and not too useful.  So I switched to my feed reader.  That means I must
remember to open my feed reader and synchronize from time to time.  The subscription will
now also show in Google Reader, which is a hoot and probably irrelevant.  The feed reader
does the right kind of highlighting when there is a new post on the same question, etc.

2. The RSS feed for a single question handles all posts to the question but not comments on
those posts.  So I did not know, for example, that the author of the question confirmed my
answer and commented on my answer accordingly (as well as checking it off as an answer that
worked).  With the feedreader, I will still have to poll from time to time to see if there
are comments and status changes that are not reflected in the RSS.

A mixed blessing so far.

For the record, here's the question and only answer.  The RSS feed is on the bottom right
corner of the page (this should amuse Eike and Rob especially, since it is about a feature
in OpenFormula that I despise):

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7188541/open-video-file-by-clicking-on-cell>

 - Dennis