incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:19:42 GMT
This should be at the "User support: beyond forums or lists" thread but I hesitate to confuse
other ways of reading this list that don't like title changes (and I am using reply to have
previous material attached - I might try forward instead on some occasion).

I have been running a filter on StackExchange sites long enough to have some hits with new
posts that use the openoffice.org tag.

Experience:

 I can get from the filter notice to the StackExchange post by direct link.  I can post an
answer or, more likely, a request for details/clarification once there.

 However, there is no way to track an individual post.  So to see if there has been any activity
on the post once it is non-knew, I have to manually go look.  I can do that by saving the
original notice in a folder of ones to review at some point.  (There is a list of answers
I've posted in my profile, but it is not organized for use in this manner.)

 Not very appealing in attempting to maximize my cycles available for actually providing forum
support.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 13:15
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]

Drew,

I didn't realize the imbalance between using the tag and mentioning without the tag was that
lop-sided.

By the way, there is also
<http://superuser.com/search?q=openoffice.org>.

Things that can be done with StackExchange sites already include having an RSS feed of posts
and also email subscriptions (though I remember shutting that off once I was overwhelmed).
 Apparently one can subscribe by tag.

I did that.  I set up a query that uses the openoffice.org tag (I was not brave enough to
use the search term instead but I did specify all sites) and I will receive e-mail notifications.

We'll see if those make it easy to go to the question, review, and respond.

 - Dennis