incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 01:33:47 GMT
It is not unusual to have subdomains map to folders.

That is, you might maintain http://openoffice.org/de

and have http://de.openoffice.org map to it.  Even if someone navigated to the former, it
might appear to have redirected to the second case.  (Try going to <http://nfocentrale.com/nfoWorks>.)

My impression is that even works for add-on domains.  You could map http://deopenoffice.org
to that subdomain which is actually anchored on a folder of the overall web-site tree.

My existence proof is the fact that my web hosting service provides all of these cases and
they run Apache httpd.  (I have only one web-hosting account and primary domain name.  Although
the subdomains exist I don't publicize them, but the add-on domains are the many ones I own
such as orcmid.com, odma.info, nfoWorks.org, etc.)

 - Dennis

PS: Technically, you could even have http://ooo.apache.org and http://openoffice.org served
from the same pages, though I think that is not such a hot idea, especially at the outset.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus (OOo) [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de]
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 13:41
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF

Am 08/17/2011 10:00 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Shane Curcuru<asf@shanecurcuru.org>  wrote:
[ ... ]
> Most of these don't appear to have much independent content.  I wonder
> whether something like this would be more maintainable going forward,
> to have a destination page for each language:
>
> Assuming our eventual TLP home is:  http://openoffice.apache.org, then
> we could have:
>
> http://openoffice.apache.org/de
> http://openoffice.apache.org/es
> http://openoffice.apache.org/pl
> http://openoffice.apache.org/it
>
> and so on.
>
> Then have the existing domain names redirect to these.

Yes, should be a good way to have one home that we have to maintain but
some redirects when a user has spelled the domain name not 100% correctly.

> Alternatively, we could do this via openoffice.org addresses:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de
> http://www.openoffice.org/es
> http://www.openoffice.org/pl
> http://www.openoffice.org/it
>
> or even via subdomains:
>
> http://de.openoffice.org/
> http://es.openoffice.org/
> http://pl.openoffice.orgl
> http://it.openoffice.org/
>
> Any committer should be able to add a new language at
> http://www.openoffice.org/foo, but wouldn't adding a new subdomain
> require working with Apache Infra.  Or is there some magic we can do

My favorite way would be the [language].openoffice.org pattern as it
looks better and more professional.

However, if it is way easier maintainance to have the
www.openoffice.org/[language] pattern, then we should go this way.

> with Apache server to make these map automatically via a rule?
>
> But I think this all leads back to the same basic question:  Do we
> want users to have a different home page than project volunteers?  I
> think so.  But we can still do that page via markdown, stored in SVN.

I haven't seen other voices in the past. So I think it is agreed in the
meantime.

Marcus