incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [Issues] [DISCUSS] Can we track Issues Somehow? (was RE: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?)
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 17:27:27 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 16:05
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:54, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@openoffice.org> wrote:
[ ... ]

>> I can argually say that both suck, the issue tracker that I have seen
>> easiest is the one provided by google code.
>>
>> The problem with that tracker is that I am not sure is doable for larger
>> projects.

The Chromium project uses Google Code's tracker[1]. They're over
88,000 bugs now and going.

>> The biggest hump of using an issue tracker is locating the right people
>> (subcomponent) to get the issue to, or asigning a developer to it. whcih
>> most times is not aparent. The previous OOo (Collabnet) supported templates
>> which fill out your issue tracker in order to submit the issues faster.
>> However I found not many people really used it.
>>

> There are two audiences (at least) for the tracker:
>
> 1) Project members, who know their way around, know the sub components, etc.
>
> 2) Users, or other who submit a defect report rarely. They need an
> easy way to enter a bug report and check its status later.

Totally agree. And that was the basis of my design for the Google Code
tracker. I wanted it real easy for the users to submit a bug, and
possibly attach stuff. They only need a short description, and then
details. Users know *nothing* about subcomponents, assignees,
milestones, whatever. The developers would then triage the new bugs
and apply the correct tags.

Jason Robbins built the tracker using those key principles, and I
think it turned out very well. Of course, I'm biased. But still :-)

If we wanted to use it, then we could fire up a project on
apache-extras.org and use it. We can use its API to import all the old
bugs.

> And what if we didn't assign developers at all?  What if instead we
> had project volunteers claim what issues they want to work on and
> self-assign them?

I'd prefer this approach. It is generally best to view the bugs as
owned by the community. That you don't have "one developer" assigned
to a component. And that anybody can grab a bug and start working.

Cheers,
-g

[1] http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list