incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Gavin McDonald" <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject RE: [Repo] SVN ETA? (was Re: Request for comments: Community Wiki Services web page.)
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:28:50 GMT

<snip>

> The additional details would deal with things like:
>
> 1) In SVN, since we have single repository, how specifically are we handling
> the core versus the languages?  I thought the proposal was to put them in
> separate directories within the same repo.  But we should be explicit.

If the languages were separate repos, perhaps a layout suggestion initially would
be:

../incubator/openofficeorg/core/[trunk|branches|tags]
../incubator/openofficeorg/I10n/[trunk|branches|tags]
etc..

or

../incubator/openofficeorg/trunk/core/..
../incubator/openofficeorg/trunk/I10N/..

> 2) We want to avoid sending out gigabytes of commit notifications when we
> check in the tip.  So the plan should include how we're going to avoid that.
> One idea would be to make a local working copy, commit that to a local SVN,
> get a svnadmin dump of that repository, stick it on the web someplace
> where Apache Infra can get to it, then open a JIRA ticket for them to import
> the dump.

I would say Infra should absolutely perform the initial import using a dump file.
Apart from the GB of commit notifications you'd likely screw the repo for everyone
else for hours on end until the  initial commits were done. No, infra loading a dump
is the only way.

Gav...