incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [email] RE: [Discuss] ASF hosted openoffice.org email service [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:47:45 GMT
I'm concerned that we are still conflating two different problems.

 1. One has to do with name@openoffice.org where this is a personal forwarding set up for
some user (or entity) and it forwards to another e-mail address.  If these are preserved,
forwarding them to some other email address to then be forwarded to the original entity does
not make a lot of sense.  The issue here is that the entity is known by that email address
and has connections that access that entity by that email address.
  It is a good idea to preserve that service so that the entities that have use of the individual
ones can somehow manage their forwarding.  I would not want to figure out how to retire it
until later, and with considerable warning.  Having an individual's e-mail address disappear
is not a pleasant experience.

 2. The other has to do with mailing lists and their subscribers.  This is a different game.
 The fact that forwarding might be part of it is rather different.  There are archives to
preserve and there are identity issues.  There are also issues concerning the preservation
of the little accounts by which subscribers manage their subscriptions. This might be minimal,
as in the case of Apache public lists where it is completely user controlled based on e-mail
verification.  If the administrative addresses and archive locations of these lists change,
there should be warning to the lists with instructions about how to use the new interface,
opt out, etc.  Depending on how dramatic the change, we will have to be prepared for a deluge
of unsubscribe requests and list difficulty reports in a variety of languages.

We need to be clear about the use cases and the importance of whatever preservation is provided
before we worry about how much there may be common bits in the solutions that we select.

 - Dennis