incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Give the BHV publishing house in Kaarst/Germany the permission to use the OpenOffice.org trademark and logo
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:40:22 GMT
Hi Peter,

For your lazy consensus, when is the expiration at which time you propose to act?

Also, because this is a matter involving legalities, I'm not sure lazy consensus works here.
 We need to check with the trademark-policy folks to understand what the ceremony is.  I suspect
that any permission must come from them, not one of us.  But they may want the recommendation
of the PPMC, which is what the lazy consensus would then be for.

It may be that the publisher does not require specific permission from us: See <http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#booktitle>.
 But if they do, or if as a publisher they are wary of not having an explicit agreement, I
think it needs to come from an officer of ASF.

Since this is our first try at this, I have copied the trademarks@ address.

 - Dennis

HMMM...

Also, and this is probably not the right time for this (especially for OpenOffice.org 3.3),
we might want to come up with a request (or requirement?) that publishers include a link to
locations under our support where current information, updates, and support about OpenOffice.org
can be found.  (That would be separate from links the publisher might provide for updates
on their book and on the 10,000+ templates that are provided on the DVD.)

We also, now that I think about it, need to provide information in our distros and maybe for
use in print, about the availability of source code for a specific release and for information
on source code for other releases, including the latest.

[I think I will flag these two as notes-to-self for something we need to pay attention to.
 The specific source-code-availability requirement may not be so strict under ALv2 and Apache
practice, in contrast with the LGPL requirement.  It seems like a great thing to perpetuate,
regardless.  It is another reason to keep the openoffice.org domain name operating because
of linking from material in print as well as on-line.]