incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 00:32:34 GMT
I'll bite.  I've got a Dell XPS 9100 running Windows 7 x64 with 1.6TB free on the HD (only
7200RPM though, keeps my Windows Experience Index at 5.9 - everything else in 7.7-7.8), 18GB
DDR3 RAM, and Intel i7X980 processor.  I've got a few more TB on a LAN-based server; I suspect
compiling from an SVN Working Copy there is probably not a smart idea, though I could try
that someday.

I already have an SVN Working copy on the local HD.  I am certain there are tools I don't
have.  I am also running Visual C++ 2010 (not 2008) Express Edition on this box, so that will
provide an interesting challenge.  Microsoft SDK v7.1 is installed but I don't seem to have
the 64-bit compiler.

Many dots remain to be connected, I'm certain.

 - Dennis

Just for laughs, I also have the Subsystem for Unix Applications (SUA) set up, but building
a Posix native for Windows (and XServer) is probably an even greater stretch.  I intend that
for confirming that command-line tools and libraries I build for Windows are also portable
to *nix to a first approximation.

Oh, and I have virtual PC and have OpenBSD in one of the VMs.  I could also make another Windows
XP VM if necessary, perhaps with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir []
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:24
Subject: Who wants to build OpenOffice?

We're blessed to have experienced OOo hackers on the list who have
already jumped on the new code repository and started making

But I see we have 214 people subscribed to the mailing list, including
many who were not previously working on OOo code.  This is great.
Growing the community to bring in new developers is key to the success
of the project.

Do any of you want to get an AOOo dev environment set up, so you can
build OpenOffice?  If so, please respond to this note, and state what
operating system you are interested in building on.

Based on this information, we can have a discussion on how best to get
you up to speed, whether via Q&A on this list, via IRC chat, a phone
conference or maybe even a virtual machine image.

View raw message