incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [www] Color me Copyright-confused
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 04:47:03 GMT
I was nosing around in the web pages at http://incubator.apache.org/openoffice/www/ to understand
exactly what is going on with addition of "Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation"
as a footer and the inclusion of the
<!-- Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
    contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
    [ ... ]
    -->
as HTML comments in the <head> element of pages, etc.

 1. I am not clear what principle is being applied here and what the conditions of its application
might be.  (I'm not sure where there is {intended to be} a NOTICE file, either.)  [The project
notes for this don't mention this particular kind of change.]

 2. I also see that this page, which is in that www sandbox too, has those modifications:
<http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/www/terms_of_use.html>.  But the content
appears to be the same as this: <http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use>, so somehow the
Apache copyright notice doesn't seem apt.

 3. MORE EXCITING is that the OpenOffice.org page itself is identified as having been revised
on 2011-07-29 and it has this fascinating statement (also found on our www-sandbox copy):

"[4.]b. Source Code Submissions. You agree that any source code You contribute to a Project
will be submitted under, and subject to, the license posted for that Project. If no license
is posted, You agree that Your Submission will be governed by the Apache License, Version
2.0, which terms can be found at http://opensource.org/licenses/apache2.0.php. You acknowledge
that You are responsible for including all applicable copyright notices and licenses with
Your Submissions, and that You assume the risks of failing to do so, including the potential
loss of Your rights to Your Submissions."

Does anyone know what this said before, when it was changed, and who changed it?  Or has it
been this way pretty much all along?

 -- Dennis