incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Access to wiki
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2011 23:05:00 GMT
I think Rob's appraisal establishes pretty clearly that considerable adaptation to individual
cases must apply.  There is material that is clearly more technical, although I am not so
clear that it has to be considered release content.  There is material that, whatever its
technical nature, appears not to be licensed under the Oracle grant, and other material that
might be.  The separations might not be in the same places.

I don't think there is any wholesale action that can be applied to subsuming OpenOffice.org
under Apache.

 - Dennis

MORE ANALYSIS

As well as I can tell, there is a Copyright notice on that page, but no license:
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Performance>.

The notice is by the link to this page:
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Wiki:Copyrights>.

So, if this is not subject to the Oracle license grant, there's not a lot to be done about
this.

This related page is even more intriguing:
<http://performance.openoffice.org/>.

There, these terms of use are linked, and the grants in section 4 kick in:
<http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use>.

So some of this might be covered by the Oracle license grant, and some of it might not be.
 I think that, on an individual-case basis, that determination governs our ability to (1)
host on the OpenOffice.org site only versus (2) moving to an Apache.org site and to make derivatives
that are licensed differently (with appropriate attribution, etc., of course) without further
permission being obtained.