incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2011 20:56:26 GMT
My exploration of stackoverflow was because it was offered as an example of what might serve
for "User support: beyond forums or lists."  I have learned its limitations (and I continue
to monitor it for openoffice.org questions).

It is clear to me that the StackExchange sites do not qualify as something that can replace
lists.  As you point out, it can't replace forums either, although I have seen all of the
things you point at accomplished on stackoverflow.  It takes more work.

I don't doubt that we will continue to provide Forums.  I have no objection to that.  I still
think that there should be at least ooo-user@a.i.o, and maybe ooo-general@a.i.o (or whatever
it is called).

I find all of this preaching for forums to be odd, since the provision of forums is not in
doubt.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: RGB ES [mailto:rgb.mldc@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 00:39
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]

I'll not quote anyone here because this is a general consideration... ;)
On the discussion about which is the best way to help users, several
times appeared a mention to Q/A sites like stackoverflow or similar.
There is, IMHO, a big problem with those sites: they help to provide
short and definitive answers, /but not to maintain discussions/...
Those sites are useful when a simple question can be solved by a
simple answer, but on complex packages like an office suite most of
the time you need interaction between the person who ask the question
and the person with the ability to answer that question. And this
interaction is not simply because the questioner was not clear enough,
but mainly because the answer needs to be "tailored" to be useful.
Q/A sites help to obtain short answers, but short answer only seldom
are useful when you use a package like OOo.
I think that because of it ability to cross referencing, quoting,
attaching files, search capabilities, /discussing/... forums still are
the best solution.
Just my 2ยข
Cheers
Ricardo