incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Legality of ooo-archive apache git repository
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:52:00 GMT
On 26.07.2011 04:50, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM, florent andré
> <florent.andre-dev@4sengines.com>  wrote:
>> Question around this idea is (Quoting Rob Weir) :
>> " it would be from the IP perspective.  This is more than
>> getting an updated SGA from Oracle. It is also about incompatible
>> licensed code.  We can only carry that in our SVN repository
>> temporarily, until we graduate.  So having it exist long-term in a
>> read-only git archive is something we'd want to understand better."
>>
>> Your insights will be really helpful here as it's more than a month ago from
>> incubation now, an the option here seems the best compromise we had for now.
>
>  From a legal perspective, there is no difference between svn, git, or
> even hg for that matter.  This is for the PPMC to decide, in
> conjunction with infrastructure.

good to know.

> What purpose would there be to retaining a "long-term...archive" of
> "incompatible licensed code" on Apache Infrastructure?  I fully
> understand the short term need during incubation, but what is the
> intended purpose of this code post graduation?

as i've already explained in the "single repository status" thread,
nobody knows how to convert the full branchy history as it currently
exists in HG to SVN; any conversion to SVN that i can imagine (with
reasonable effort) would lose some history data.

the value of such a read-only HG/git repo would be that future
maintainers of the OOo code base have the full history available.

regards,
  michael