incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: single repository status
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:03:39 GMT
On 09.07.2011 07:57, Greg Stein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I borrowed some space on some ASF equipment and used the
> 'fetch-all-cws.sh' script to pull down all of the CWS repositories (in
> addition to the OOO340 and master_l10n/OOO340 repositories). This
> consumed 77 Gb of disk space.
>
> The fetch-all-cws.sh script has been updated with all my fixes to make
> this happen, and the cws-list.txt file has been updated to reflect all
> CWSs that have actual content beyond OOO340.
>
> I have updated single-hg.sh to do a basic combination of the
> repositories. This produces a 2.7 Gb repository.
>
> However! The single-hg script does not apply any tags/bookmarks for
> the heads introduced by the pulls from the CWS repositories.
> Originally, I thought to apply bookmarks, but ... meh. We can just
> apply tags. It isn't like we are going to push to the repository and
> need the bookmark to float with the changes. So the next step is to
> update single-hg to apply the appropriate tags. At that point, I will
> publish a bundle so that most people can skip all the above steps and
> start playing with the repository that will feed into the next step
> (convert to svn).
>
> Once the tags are properly marked, then we can start testing the
> conversion to Subversion. Please note, however: the hg conversion
> script does *not* process tags. We will have to write that. We will
> also have to somehow manage construction of branches. We may also have
> to update the conversion tool to properly handle the "merge"
> changesets that Hg records.

after looking at the HG convert svn_sink a little, this looks rather
difficult to me.

well, tags should be easy.

but how to reconstruct the branching is kind of unclear to me.
the first ~260k changesets are linear and were initially taken from SVN,
so that shouldn't be a problem.
but then there are lots of HG merge changesets.

in the HG repo there is sort of a "master" history that is basically a
sequence of CWS integration merge changesets, with the occasional
masterfix thrown in.
but this is not explicit: these are all just merges with 2 parents, and
it's not guaranteed which of these 2 is the CWS and which the master.
basically the requirement is to convert one of the thousands of paths
through this DAG from the common ancestor revision ~260k to revision
c904c1944462 (OOO340 head) into a SVN trunk.

> In the single repository that I constructed, there are 102 heads. I
> believe these will become branches.

well, they should...
these don't have a common ancestor from the "trunk" history; generally
they contain several merges from the master into the CWS as well.
it was also quite common practice to merge one CWS into another.

i don't know SVN implementation of branching/merging that well, and i
have no idea how this history should look like in SVN, or whether it's
even expressible.

one thing we could do in any case is just not convert the CWSes; put up
a read-only HG or git repo with all CWSes somewhere, then use that to
rebase the CWS onto OOO340, then apply a patch to a SVN branch based on
OOO340, then merge with SVN trunk.

--
'I have had at least two students tell me (in the words of one) that
  "you seduced me, you made me think computing and programming was