incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Commiters list
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:24:17 GMT

On Jul 14, 2011, at 11:53 AM, eric b wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Le 14 juil. 11 à 20:13, Dave Fisher a écrit :
>>> I did. But I thought we could contribute with patches without sign it.
>>
>> Yes, but if you do it that way you are not a Committer, not on the PPMC, and not
on the Podling Status Page. Someone with Committer karma must commit your patches for you.

> Yes, I got this point already.

Both are important aspects of every software project. It's understandable that the ASF does
not accept contributions where it is unclear if the contributor has the necessary rights for
the contributed code.

The main requirement is merit earned by contributions to the existing project here. See http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

> Ok. I did the first step, and I sent the signed ICLA (following the instructions).
>
> To be honest, IBM Symphony contribution and your explanation decided me :)
>

>> Initial Committers are a special case, the only merit required is signing up on the
list.

>> Your students will need to contribute via the method of submitting patches which
will be evaluated and applied by Committers.

> Usualy, we review the code twice, and test everything before to commit for them, but
in the current case, I think they could contribute to the OOo build system directly and more,
so I'll advertise them about the ICLA.

To do so directly they will need to earn the right and be voted on by the PPMC.

As a committer you will be empowered to commit your student's changes. As a PPMC member you
can DISCUSS committer rights for individuals who have demonstrated merit. Discussion in general
about the process are here in public on ooo-dev.

Discussions and votes about individual cases are on ooo-private with no cross posting between
lists. Do not cc ooo-dev on ooo-private emails and the reverse do not cc ooo-private on ooo-dev
emails.

Regards,
Dave