incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Extensions and templates site down
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 01:21:58 GMT

On Jul 12, 2011, at 5:42 PM, Raphael Bircher wrote:

> Am 13.07.11 01:47, schrieb Jomar Silva:
>>
>> On 2011/6/12 19:38 Pedro Giffuni<giffunip@tutopia.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> While this is understandable, it is not good enough. We will have to
>>> find an
>>> alternative repository and link to it from Apache's website. This is
>>> something
>>> that can wait though.
>> Can you please explain the 'not good enough' and also propose an alternative solution
?
> You removed the answare. The fact that only Open Source extension are alowed is not ideal.
Everyone at OOo knows the storry about this topic. The wish to have only Open Source extensions
come from the FSF. This wish was refused by the CC of OpenOffice.org with good reasons. I
don't think, this reasons go away only because we move to the ASF.

> A Extension Repository with only Open Source Extension makes maybe the FSF happy, but
do not cover our need. So this is one more time more a ideological question.

+1 - We should attempt to have the most complete and agnostic registry of all extensions and
the most open collection of templates possible.

I've asked the contact that I made last night at OSUOSL for two things.

(1) Some statistics about the server.

(2) Contacts at Sun/Oracle who were working on the performance issues - which involve scale.

With data we have a better idea of what infrastructure is required.

I think we need to find out from Legal if the ASF actually has an issue with hosting differently
licensed software on a machine that is not on the internet at *.apache.org, but on *.openoffice.org.

Regards,
Dave