incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Blog Created
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:26:34 GMT
Dennis's post is now on the main www.apache.org webpage! Yeah!

> The Apache Blogs
>
> OOo! There&rsquo;s a New Podling in the Nursery Incubator
>
> The Apache OpenOffice.org (incubator) project was born on Monday, June 13, 2011.  Delivery
was complicated.  The baby’s doing fine.

> Following the June 1, 2011 announcement of the license grant from...

Note that there is an issue with &rsquo;

Which allows for a quick Apache CMS debugging lesson.

The markdown for that part of www.apache.org/index.html is this:

                       <h4>The Apache Blogs</h4>
                       {% for e in planet.list %}
e.title }}</a></h5>
                       <hr><br />
                       {% endfor %}

{{ e.title }} escapes the character entity in the title as "&amp;rsquo;"

From http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#autoescape we see that this means
that e.title was already escaped with & replaced by &amp;

Am I correct that this extra escape needs to be removed in either the building of planet.list
in the main apache site's view.pm or {{ e.title }} modified on index.mdtext?

Otherwise blog author's have to know not to use those characters.

And there was a question about foreign language posts. I think these will encounter similar
issues.

Regards,
Dave

On Jul 9, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> And I can confirm that it is working, the full-post Atom feed is working, and I can author
from Windows Live Writer 2011.  (For that last, praise be!)

> <https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/ooo_there_rsquo_s_a>
>
> It looks like the CSS needs some tweaking: the right side bar drops down depending on
text width in the post content, the well-known CSS-blog-post bugaboo.  I have to make by browser
window pretty wide before the sidebar reappears adjacent to the content.  I didn't enter anything
that couldn't have line-wrapped sooner, so this is apparently somewhere in the styling.

> There are some differences between the Roller 5.0.0 documentation and how this blog is
set up that would have been handy to know.

> When I saw that there were no options to switch between wysiwyg and raw HTML modes, I
was pretty certain that I was looking at a browser edit window that expected raw HTML.  It
must be in the Apache chromosomes.

> That is what drove me to see if I could get Windows Live Writer to hook up.  It managed
to fish the styles from the site, but it was not able to connect with categories or tags.
 There might be ways to get that working, but I am content for now.

> The Facebook button works (need Google+ now too, I suppose).  I didn't try the twitter
button because that happens with a Live Writer plug-in I use.