incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OOO340 to svn
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 05:28:32 GMT

On Jul 27, 2011, at 9:41 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 21:23, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> TBD = To Be Determined/Defined
>>
>> There was extensive discussion with Greg Stein and Marcus (and others) in previous
weeks on this list.  Greg's last post was July 9, as previously noted.  There has been further
work/discussion by Mathias Bauer, Michael Stahl, Marcus Lange, Eike Rathke, and others.

> Yup. Sorry about being away. The Apache Subversion project created its
> 1.7.x stabilization branch for our upcoming 1.7 release. This has been
> two years in the making, so it has been a Big Deal. I haven't had the
> time to properly dedicate here.

Sounds exciting. "svn patch" is part of of subversion 1.7, correct? When will svn.apache.org
be 1.7?

Carl Marcum and I are working on svn instructions for the project and if 1.7 is happening
very soon, I think it would be great if we could include svn 1.7 type instructions.

> I've read some of the threads, and will need to cut this short (at
> OSCON right now). In short, I saw a concern about how to handle the
> two-parent merges. That was also becoming a concern of mine, but
> hadn't quite reached the "geez. I dunno" stage.
>
> With these various conversion issues, I might be coming around to just
> saying "not really possible with the current set of tools today". I'll
> talk to a friend of mine to see if they have something that can help
> (his company does a lot of version control work, and they may have
> ideas/tooling).
>
> In the meantime, and I can dig in more this weekend once I get home,
> I'll suggest one possible road for us:
>
> 1) import just the OOO340 tip into svn

+1

> 2) move all the Hg repositories over to apache-extras.org. That
> supports Hg and it supports "any OSI license". We can indefinitely
> retain history there without it being "part of" our ASF project.

+1 - a great idea.

> While it means that we won't have history in svn, it does mean that
> we'll have full history available to us. And in its natural Hg state.
>
> ... more later, but I just wanted to get that thought out there.

Regards,
Dave