incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:48:02 GMT

On 11 Jul 2011, at 14:16, Andre Schnabel wrote:

> So - if the Apache project does not want to use the brand "OpenOffice.org",
> maybe ask Oracle to hand it over to TDF instead.
>
> Ok, just joking - I would not expect this to happen.

More than that, as far as I can tell TDF are perfectly happy with the brands they are building
and have no particular use for the OpenOffice.org trademark - whatever the hidden voices whispering
otherwise may say. As I understand it (and I have asked) their proposal to take the trademark
on board was a matter of stewardship (with the alternative expected to be abandonment) rather
than need.

> But anyway - everyone who would say "no" to the idea above, just have a
> moment and think about why you would say "no". And then think about why
> you should not change the brand.

I admit to being disappointed that people feel so negatively actually; I hope it is only a
few. I still believe there is scope for the OpenOffice.org community to have an "OpenOffice
Community Organisation" under that name that co-ordinates architecture, plugins, templates,
security, marketing etc, and then call this project "Apache OpenOffice" etc as a member of
that family along with LibreOffice and the proprietary downstreams.

S.