incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org (was Re: Ooo blog)
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 23:16:12 GMT
Then the choices are:

blogs.apache.org/openofficeorg
or
blogs.apache.org/ooo

The title ought to be "Apache OpenOffice.org (incubating)", correct?

Regards,
Dave

On Jul 8, 2011, at 4:07 PM, Danese Cooper wrote:

> It isn't just a matter of who gets more hits on Google. In 2000, the OpenOffice name
was not trademarkable worldwide (and probably still is not) without the .org. OTOH, the ASF
doesn't normally seek to register all it's trademarks worldwide because of cost (in the US,
first use of a mark is significant enough)...but if Oracle is transferring it's trademarks
to the ASF (and if it's the worldwide trademark, then it's worth about $350,000 USD), then
we're back to dealing with the .org, I'm afraid.

> Danese
>
> Kay Shenk wrote:
>
> -Yeah, once upon a time, when you did a search on "Open Office", the *other* office suite,
whoever owned this brand, came up (like maybe 6+ years ago). Now it doesn't, but we should
ascertain the status or history of this before changing the product/brand name I think, just
to be safe.