incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OOO and LibreOffice.
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:59:28 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2011, at 13:17, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>>
>> This would at least require that someone having done that at LO would
>> contribute a patch for OOo. Having a patch could help to do the removal
>> in the same way as in LO. That could make sure that afterwards the code
>> bases became more similar and merging of code changes could become
>> easier in the future. Perhaps that's something you should suggest on the
>> LO dev list.
>>
>> (I hope this suggestion isn't seen as an offense - really, if you are
>> asking for patches you have to ask those who did the work, not those who
>> might receive it.)
>
> Not an offense, no, although we might consider it's unlikely that a volunteer in any
project would want to do this sort of work twice. We may instead want to encourage new Apache
volunteers who want to join the development activity but need to learn how everything works
to create patches that mirror the cleanup at LO, as a route to learning about AOOo.

If one wished to make it impossible to ever collaborate at the source
code level between two projects, to frustrate attempts at automated
merging, then the ideal way of doing this would be to change millions
of lines of code for trivial reasons, to "improve" variable names,
indentation, remove code that the preprocessor was already removing,
etc.  If you want to put two nails in the coffin of collaboration,
then do such "clean up" twice, independently and in two different
repositories, ensuring millions of future merge conflicts.

Of course, such clean up is an easy way to get impressive numbers for
patches and developers.  But on balance, I'd avoid the impulse to
churn the code unnecessarily. I like the idea of "Easy Tasks".  But
let's make them be real tasks.