incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Creation of ooo-security List
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 23:10:25 GMT
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Well, vulnerabilities are vulnerabilities and if there is an exposure in current code
or in documents produced in current code, isn't that a concern for us now?  Why would it
not be?

I'm not saying it is not a concern.  I'm saying if you think it is a
concern, then get on with it and report the concern.

> Also, I don't presume that everyone is downstream from us (as opposed to the OpenOffice.org
that once was).

> I think of LibreOffice as a mutual stakeholder because it seems they have a security
team too and like it or not, they are cranking out releases very quickly and may be able to
provide mitigations, hypothetically, months before we ever get a release of ours out the door.

And IBM and RedOffice and Oracle doesn't have products in use based on
this same code?  And they don't have people who work with security?  I
question your definition of "mutual stakeholder", especially since our
list of Committers has members from IBM, RedOffice and Oracle, but
none from LibreOffice.

And how often feature releases are "cranked out" is irrelevant to how
quickly a vendor can release a security patch if needed.  You are
mixes two different kinds of releases.

> Also, some security issues may require a jointly-agreed response so that we attend to
interoperability concerns, especially if mitigation involves breaking changes or even introduction
of allowed extensions (in the context of the ODF specifications).  Anything that fits into
a discretionary area requiring producer-consumer agreement to work needs a community to unfold
it.

> I don't know about the details of having that work.  I do know if I uncover a problem,
I am going to communicate it to every security-conscious entity I can.

Hopefully this will include the Apache security list at some point.

> To make this conversation concrete: I have security issues I want to raise, which is
what had me looking into this in the first place.  I would like to do this in a manner that
is in keeping with concerns for dealing with security matters privately to ensure that there
is competent review and no danger attached to premature disclosure.  (I suspect not, because
the vulnerabilities I am aware of exist in plain sight, but I want the counsel of someone
having more security experience than I before saying, "Heck, I need something for today's
blog post, why not stir things up with this?")

The Apache process for handling this is documented and it explicitly
covers the case of reports for a project that does not have a
dedicated security list.

>  - Dennis

than 10 security-aware PPMC members be subscribed to it.  We need to work out what the composition
would be.  The list will be automatically forward to security@a.o.  I assume that there
might be security-aware ooo-podling mentors and other ASF Members included in the small PPMC
subscription.

>> DETAILS
>>
>> General information about the Apache Security Team:
>> <http://www.apache.org/security/>
>>
>> More details on the handling of security and vulnerabilities by committers and the
role of the [P]PMC:
>> <http://www.apache.org/security/committers.html>
>>
>> Note that creation of a security page on our web site is also part of this.  That
should happen near-immediately also.

> The website already has a "Security" link on the navigation panel, at
> the bottom.  This takes you to the main Apache security page where the
> reporter is instructed on how to submit reports.  According to that
> page, security reports are routed to the PMC in case we do not have a
> dedicated security list.  So I don't see the urgency on creating a new
> list or a new web page, especially since we don't even have code in
> the repository, let alone a release, and since there already is a
> security list and contact address at OOo.  I think that the existing
> procedures, in place at Apache, are adequate if someone wanted to
> report a problem
>
> The idea of having the discussion in private, on the PMC private list
> or on a private security list, is a  good idea, so that any
> vulnerability reported would not be immediately exploited by script
> kiddies.  Or at least the chances of that would be diminished.  But I
> don't think that any of the PPMC members are malicious hackers likely
> to abuse any security sensitive information shared on the PPMC list.
> Of course, only a subset of the members have security expertise.
>

>> BACKGROUND
>>
>> I have been nosing around in document-related security areas and that has led me
to inquire what the arrangements need to be for discussing security issues, identified vulnerabilities,
proposed mitigations, etc.

>> I've learned that the Apache approach is for each PMC taking the lead in handling
security matters related to its releases.  To maintain the security of security matters,
the practice is to have a private list (for us, ooo-security) with not more than ten security-aware
subscribers.

>> Since we may have "common-mode" issues with respect to the use of our common code
base and implementation behaviors, it may be necessary to coordinate with other teams, including
the LibreOffice security team, in our case.  We'll have to work that out on an individual-case
basis, I suspect.  I don't know if we have any PPMC members who are also on that team, and
I don't know what the structure was for OpenOffice.org and who may have been involved.